AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin Democrat Kirk Watson drew one of the short straws on Wednesday. That means the term he was elected to in 2012 expires in 2014.
Each legislative session after redistricting, the 31 senators hold a lottery to determine which get a four-year terms and which get a two-year term. In between redistricting, the terms are all for four years.
Among the local delegation, Watson joins long-serving Democrat Judith Zaffirini of Laredo -- her district snakes north to Austin -- along with incoming Republicans Charles Schwertner of Georgetown and Donna Campbell of San Marcos in the two-year club.
Veteran Republican Troy Fraser of Marble Falls drew a four-year term. Here is how the full Senate breaks down:
Two year terms:
- John Carona, R-Dallas
- Donna Campbell, R-San Marcos
- Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth
- Robert Duncan, R-Lubbock
- Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls
- Kelly Hancock, R-Fort Worth
- Joan Huffman, R-Southside Place
- Robert Nichols, R-Jacksonville
- Dan Patrick, R-Houston
- Ken Paxton, R-McKinney
- Charles Schwertner, R-Georgetown
- Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo
- Leticia Van De Putte, D-San Antonio
- Kirk Watson, D-Austin
- Royce West, D-Dallas
- John Whitmire, D-Houston
- Tommy Williams, R-The Woodlands
- Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo
Four year terms:
- Brian Birdwell, R-Granbury
- Bob Deuell, R-Greenville
- Rodney Ellis, D-Houston
- Kevin Eltife, R-Tyler
- Troy Fraser, R-Horsehoe Bay
- Glenn Hegar, R-Katy
- Chuy Hinojosa, D-McAllen
- Eddie Lucio, D-Brownsville
- Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound
- Jose Rodriguez, D-El Paso
- Larry Taylor, R-Galveston
- Carlos Uresti, D-San Antonio
In a last-minute surprise late Monday, U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman filed paperwork to challenge fellow Texas Republican and powerful incumbent John Cornyn for the U.S. Senate next year.
Two people were robbed at gunpoint at an East Austin apartment complex Monday evening.
University of Texas System regents say they're planning to discuss the employment of Austin campus President Bill Powers, who has sparred with lawmakers and critics over his job in recent years.
Just in time for the holidays, Texas is making sure everyone remembers that wishing someone "Merry Christmas" is now protected by law in its public schools.
A 8-year-old was killed while standing outside of a vehicle which lost control during the icy conditions, DPS said.
Because of her position as Travis County District Attorney, the deputies who arrested, booked, and restrained Rosemary Lehmberg last April admit they were worried her threats were legitimate.