AUSTIN (KXAN) -- A reminder to Austin drivers: You may want to stay off MoPac right now.
Expect significant delays this weekend if you're heading south on North MoPac as Texas Department of Transportation crews work to complete asphalt resurfacing.
The freeway was reduced to one lane southbound between Ranch to Market 2222 and Enfield Road at 10 p.m. on Friday night and will stay that way until Monday, Aug. 14, at 5 a.m. TxDOT suggests drivers avoid the area if possible this weekend.
Expect the center and left lanes to be closed, leaving the right lane and right auxiliary exit lanes open. Law enforcement will also be in the area to direct traffic, according to TxDOT.
During the closure, crews are removing old asphalt and replacing it to prepare for the new Express lanes. Over the past few months, some drivers have complained about the milling process and how it leaves behind a lot of debris. The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority says it hopes to have the Express Lanes open in both directions by the end of summer, but the project has experienced delays in the past.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- The Latest: Police don't say if blast is related to others
- West Virginia gets better of in-state rival Marshall 94-71
- Asian markets mixed following Wall Street gains
- Fire at Philippine hotel-casino out, death toll raised to 5