AUSTIN (KXAN) -- A motorcyclist who police say died in a crash while racing another vehicle earlier this week has been identified.
The crash happened around 1:10 p.m. on the northbound frontage road of US 183 near North Lamar Boulevard on Monday. Police say motorcyclist Edwin Proenza-Benedit, 18, was in the left lane of the frontage road traveling at high rate of speed when he hit a pickup truck that turned onto the road. Proenza-Benedit lost control and crashed. He died at the scene.
Austin police say a few minutes before the crash, they received 911 calls reporting a driver in a car and a motorcyclist were racing along US 183. A short time later, another 911 call came in stating the motorcyclist crashed.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 'Most interesting man' to judge best beard contest
- Afghanistan: 3 wounded in sticky bomb blast in Kabul
- Greek tycoon calls drug charges politically motivated
- Egypt expels British reporter ahead of presidential election