NEW YORK (AP) - A swine flu outbreak appears to have killed dozens in Mexico andmore cases are showing up in the United States and around theworld.
Healthofficials are recommending several steps to prevent the spreadof the virus:
- If you have flu symptoms, stay home from work or school to avoid spreading the disease. Do not return until two days after your symptoms are gone.
- Wash your hands often and cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Go to the hospital if you have severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing; but if your symptoms are mild, stay home to avoid spreading the virus to others at the hospital.
- Masks may be recommended for health care workers, family members and others who come in close contact with swine flu patients, but there is no need for the general public to wear masks.
- It is safe to eat properly handled pork. Cook it to at least 160F.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
In a last-minute surprise late Monday, U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman filed paperwork to challenge fellow Texas Republican and powerful incumbent John Cornyn for the U.S. Senate next year.
Two people were robbed at gunpoint at an East Austin apartment complex Monday evening.
University of Texas System regents say they're planning to discuss the employment of Austin campus President Bill Powers, who has sparred with lawmakers and critics over his job in recent years.
Just in time for the holidays, Texas is making sure everyone remembers that wishing someone "Merry Christmas" is now protected by law in its public schools.
A 8-year-old was killed while standing outside of a vehicle which lost control during the icy conditions, DPS said.
Because of her position as Travis County District Attorney, the deputies who arrested, booked, and restrained Rosemary Lehmberg last April admit they were worried her threats were legitimate.