AUSTIN (KXAN) - Here is some of the basic information you need to know if you live in the Steiner Ranch area:
IS THE FIRE UNDER CONTROL?
- No, the fire is 60 percent contained as of midday Wednesday
- Firefighters have requested STARFlight to fly over for reconnaissance
- City of Austin's website reports that more 300 homes in the Steiner Ranch area have been saved.
- Some 24 homes have been destroyed, and 30 homes have been damaged. Some 125 acres have been burned.
- The city of Austin has encouraged people to stay away from the area and off RM 620.
- Five firefighters sustained minor injuries as of Tuesday morning, but they have all been released.
- Steiner Ranch residents were allowed back into the area at noon on Tuesday.
- Steiner Ranch evacuee information hot line 512-974-6199
- Vandegrift High School is serving as the shelter for displaced residents in Steiner Ranch.
- Rouse High School also has been added as a shelter.
- Leander ISD has announced the four schools in Steiner Ranch are closed on Tuesday, along with Vandegrift High School and Four Points Middle School, due to logistical reasons.
- Rouse High School and Wiley Middle School have been added to the list.
- Austin Energy has begun restoring power to the Steiner Ranch area. The area of about 5,500 customers is served by five circuits.
- As of late Monday night, power had been restored to about half the customers in the Steiner Ranch area.
- Power was restored to the remainder of a circuit serving about 150 customers located on the north side of 620. The majority of a second circuit was re-energized serving about 1,300 customers in the Quinlan Park/620 area.
- Power was restored to another 1,000 customers in the Montview Dr/Fritz Hughes Park Rd to the Quinlan Park area.
- Power will not be restored to homes damaged by fire, and crews are going house to house to see where power can be safely restored.
- Austin Energy crews will work around the clock to restore power to all areas not impacted by fire. There is not an estimate available at this time on when power might be restored to all areas of Steiner Ranch.
The Austin Parks Department board will vote on a new design for Auditorium Shores that expands a proposed off leash dog park area by one acre.
Two school buses crashed Tuesday morning in South Austin but none of the children on board were hurt, officials said.
On Tuesday, Capital Metro will roll out it's new MetroRapid fleet and run multiple tests gearing up for its January 2014 debut.
An 8-year-old was killed while standing outside of a vehicle which lost control during the icy conditions, DPS said.
Democrats say they finally hold a statewide office again in Texas — thanks to a Republican who's switching sides.
Leander ISD is one of the fastest growing school districts in the state. Their latest demographic report shows a shift in the type of families moving into the district.