AUSTIN (KXAN) - Teenagers are getting tickets for being out too late as localpolice departments begin cracking down on kids who break curfewlaws.
Since May 10, Austin police officers have written 22 citationsto juveniles who are out after curfew.
"I've talked to certain people that have gotten tickets forbeing out past curfew," said Robert Renfro, 16.
There are exceptions to the city wide curfew like emergencies orwork.
Here is a look at the Austin ordinance:
Non-Emergency Curfews for Youth
For youths under 17 years of age, there is a city-wide daytimecurfew from 9 am. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except forholidays, during the school year. Two nighttime curfews are also ineffect for youth in the City of Austin. One covers the downtownentertainment district and is in effect between 11 p.m. and 6 am.seven days a week. The other covers the remainder of the city andis in effect between 11 p.m. and 6 am. Sunday through Thursday andbetween midnight and 6 am. Saturday and Sunday.
In general, the curfews do not apply when:
* The juvenile is accompanied by his or her parent or spouse oron an errand for his or her parent or spouse;
* The juvenile is engaged in religious activity or islawfully engaged in a business, trade, or profession;
* The juvenile is exercising First Amendment rights;
* The juvenile is moving on a direct route to his or herhome (nighttime curfew only); or
* The juvenile is on the sidewalk in front of his or herhome or on the sidewalk of a next-door neighbor who is notcommunicating an objection to the youth's presence to a policeofficer (nighttime curfew only).
* The juvenile is on an excused absence from school.
The reference for these non-emergency curfews is Chapter 9-3 ofthe City Code.
Federal, state and local authorities on Wednesday arrested 15 people and seized 70 firearms in raid on a methamphetamine operation based in Burnet County.
Former Georgetown Police Officer Stephanie Brown said her ex-boyfriend, former Round Rock Officer Eric Poteet, made up accusations against her after she broke up with him.
TxTAG’s customer call center lines are jammed as toll road violators scramble to pay up and avoid staying on a published scofflaw list.
A 13-year-old girl who told police she had been kidnapped from her school and assaulted on Monday, admitted to police she made the story up.
Recent findings have those in academic circles wondering, if educators are missing the point.
The U.S. Grand Prix race in Austin next year will be held Nov. 2 and F1 weekend will not coincide with a UT Longhorns home football game.