Austin Thyroid & Endocrinology is clinically led by Dr. Simone Scumpia (MD, FACE, FRCP), considered one of the front runners of Thyroid care in Austin, Texas and considered an expert in endocrine and thyroid pathology due to her extensive experience over many years in the field.
2002 - now Founder & Owner, Austin Thyroid & Endocrinology, Austin, TX
1997 - 2001 Medical Director, Obesity Treatment and Research, Austin Diagnostic Clinic, Austin, TX
1992 - 2001 Private Practice in Endocrinology, Austin Diagnostic Clinic, Austin, TX
1992 - 2000 Director, Endocrinology Division, Central Texas Medical Foundation, Austin, TX
1989 - 1991 Internist, City of Austin-Travis County Health Department
1989 - 1991 Faculty Member, Central Texas Medical Foundation, Internal Medicine Program, Brackenridge Hospital, Austin, TX
Clinical Research Experience:
Principal and secondary research study investigator in more than 100 research studies: 15 osteoporosis, 12 obesity, 57 diabetes, 10 women's health, 2 gastroenterology, 3 neurology , 2 ophtalmology
* 2004 & 2005 Texas Super Doctors, Texas Monthly
* Physician's Recognition Award, American Medical Association, 2000, 1997, 1994, 1988
* Best Consultant of the Year, 1997
* Best Attending of the Year, 1990
* Best Intern of the Year, 1983
1991 - 1992 Fellowship: Endocrinology and Metabolism,
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1987 - 1988 Fellowship: Endocrinology and Metabolism,
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas
1984 - 1987 Residency: University of Alberta University Hospital, Edmonton, Canada
1983 - 1984 Internship: Rotating, University of Toronto Doctors Hospital, Toronto, Canada
1974 - 1980 Medical School of Bucharest, Romania
* American Board of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 1993
* American Board of Internal Medicine, 1988
* Fellow, American College of Endocrinology, 1993
* Fellow, Royal College of Physicians of Canada, 1988
Teaching and Administrative Appointments:
* Division Chief, Endocrinology, Central Texas Medical Foundation, 1992-2000
* Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, 1996 -
* Board Director, Austin Diagnostic Clinic, 2000-2002
* Member, Budget Committee, Austin Diagnostic Clinic, 1996-2002
* American College of Internal Medicine
* American College of Endocrinology
* American Association of Clinical Endocrinology
* Endocrine Society
* American Thyroid Association
* National Osteoporosis Foundation
* International Society for Clinical Bone Densitometry
* Clinical Research Radiant
* Texas Medical Association
* Travis County Medical Society
* Royal College of Physicians of Canada
* College of Physicians of Alberta, Canada
Click here for the latest news from Austin Thyroid & Endocrinology.
The Austin Humane Society reopened to the public Friday after closing its doors for six weeks.
The freezing and near-freezing rain that swooped into Central Texas overnight prompted numerous school closings and delays and made for a harrowing morning commute on Friday.
A man is charged with murder in the shooting death Wednesday of a woman at a North Austin auto repair shop, police said Friday.
A man is expected to survive after being stabbed in the head at the Salvation Army shelter in Downtown Austin at about 3:45 a.m. Friday.
It's the first criminal charge following a yearlong criminal investigation into the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas.
With freezing temperatures pushing through the region, heating systems will likely be working overtime, which can bring rising energy bills.