CEDAR PARK, Texas (KXAN) - It hit the number one song in the U.S. this week, but parents in Cedar Park are not happy after a teacher showed middle school students the Childish Gambino "This is America" music video.
It shows the rapper shooting and killing people, including innocent members of a church choir, to send multiple messages about gun violence.
A parent tells KXAN the computer teacher at Running Brushy Middle School showed it to students in multiple grades during class last week, and his son came home talking about it.
The dad was not aware of the video until his son told him about it, and was shocked the violent video was shown to students in middle school.
The district would not say what action the principal took, but said it has been addressed.
Leander ISD sent the following statement:
A Running Brushy Middle School teacher showed an inappropriate music video to students during instructional time last week. Once it was brought to the attention of the administrative team, the principal addressed the situation with the teacher.
Our teachers strive to make curriculum relevant to the world around our students, and we support the use of culturally relevant content in classrooms. When incorporating outside materials, we require that our teachers ensure the content is relevant to the state’s Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and appropriate for the age of the students.
Have a comment? Share it in the post below:
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Justin Timberlake visits Santa Fe shooting victims in hospital
- Near 100° all Memorial Day weekend
- Moonwalker, UT-Austin alumnus Alan Bean dies at 86
- Texas officer arrested in fatal shooting of his brother, an off-duty deputy