FREDERICKSBURG, Texas (KXAN) -- A fire that broke out Sunday night destroyed the historic Turner Hall in Fredericksburg.
City officials say the fire started around 10:30 p.m. and burned for several hours before firefighters were able to put it out after midnight. Crews were putting out hot spots, but the building is destroyed.
The president of the Turner Hall organization told the Fredericksburg Standard he still doesn't know what caused the fire. "We know nothing about how the fire began," Duane Durst said. Durst also said the club was always raising money for maintenance and various projects to improve the building.
Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein established the hall in 1871. Since then, the hall has been a German men's club, a bowling alley and is used for various events including weddings and mixers. Most recently, there was a wedding held at the hall the night before the fire broke out.
The Fire Marshal's Office is investigating but a cause for the fire has not been determined.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- EU leaders back Britain in blaming Russia over spy poisoning
- China says it may hike tariffs on US pork, other goods
- Police release videos of fatal shooting of unarmed black man
- Nike posts loss due to tax law, but beats expectations