AUSTIN (KXAN) - Miss Universe wasn't the only pageant Sunday. Miss Austin and Miss Austin Outstanding Teen 2015 were both crowned. KXAN's Brian Sanders was one of the judges and got to follow up with the winners Monday morning on KXAN News Today on the CW Austin.Keli Kryfko, 23, won the Miss Austin crown. The Texas Tech graduate lost over 100 pounds and has been on a national television tour talking about her healthier lifestyle choices. Kryfko is using her weight loss to inspire others to do the same and is fighting obesity for her pageant platform. She is currently working on a book that is scheduled to come out in August 2015. She's also the National Spokesperson for "Shape Up America!".Miss Austin's Outstanding Teen is McNeil High School junior, Rya Mahaney, 16. Her platform is "BE-U: Beautiful, Equal and Unique". Mahaney's hope is that, in her year of service, to be role model for other teens who struggle because of confidence issues. She wants to graduate from The University of Texas and pursue a law degree.Both Kryfko and Mahaney now advance to the state level competition. The Miss Texas pageant is June 27 through July 4 at the Eisemann Center in Richardson, Texas.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Bumgarner breaks hand when hit by line drive, needs surgery
- Curry returns, then injures left knee as Warriors beat Hawks
- French hero officer who swapped himself for hostage dies
- Beard, Texas Tech oust Purdue 78-65 in NCAA East Region