Police: Seven officers fired at suspect who allegedly hijacked taxi cab

AUSTIN (KXAN) -- An incident that began as a disturbance Monday evening between roommates in southeast Austin escalated into the hijacking of a taxicab and a deadly officer-involved shooting, the Austin Police Department said.

In a briefing Monday night, Interim Chief of Police Brian Manley said the "somewhat complex" chain of incidents took place at three different locations throughout the evening, ending at an apartment complex in the 4900 block of Edge Creek Drive, where officers shot and killed a man who aimed a gun at them.

At 5:31 p.m., a 911 caller asked officers for help in the 4800 block of Nuckols Crossing Road. Officers were told the initial incident was a disturbance between roommates and a potential kidnapping nearby in the 3300 block of Parker Lane.

It appears the suspect then got into a cab at the Parker Lane location and followed the victims to the apartments on Nuckols Crossing.

A 911 caller said he was possibly carrying a gun. At 5:39 p.m., police found the suspect and tried to pull over the taxicab. The cab driver got out of the taxi and the suspect jumped in the front and drove away.

Police chased the suspect for several minutes, including -- according to video sent to KXAN -- through an H-E-B parking lot, when it came to an end at the entrance gate to the apartments in the 4900 block of Edge Creek Drive at 6 p.m.

Officers reported to dispatch that the suspect was holding a gun to his head. At 6:04 p.m. the suspect tried to ram the gates at the apartments to get away from police. Negotiators and the SWAT team were then called to the scene.

At 6:39 p.m., APD officers reported that the man pointed a gun at them and they were able to retreat to safety, Manley said. Three minutes later, officers opened fire when the suspect pointed his weapon at them again.

At 6:48 p.m., officers fired again at the suspect, who, at that point, no longer responded to the officers. SWAT officers secured the vehicle and tactical medics responded to the scene. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.

"It is evident on the video, you can hear, from before any shots are fired, you can hear our negotiator talking to the suspect in this incident, you can hear him giving those repeated commands to put the weapon down, to drop the weapon," Manley said.

In total, seven officers fired their weapons. All seven are being placed on administrative leave while the incident is under review, as is common in officer-involved shooting cases. Two of the officers involved have been with the department for 17 years, two for six years, one for five years and the remaining two for four years.

A criminal investigation is being conducted by APD's Special Investigations Unit and the District Attorney's Office.

Locations and Times Related to the Shooting


More Stories

Trending Stories

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News - Local