AUSTIN (KXAN) -- Austin police have detained two suspects in an attempted robbery that turned into a shooting.
The suspects were identified Monday as Jason Mitchell, 28, and Donovan Brown, 26. Both are charged with aggravated robbery.
According to police, the suspects tried to rob the David's Food Store at the corner of West Mary and South Fifth Streets around 9:19 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 20. Police say one suspect came into the store to commit the robbery while the second suspect stayed in the getaway car. During the robbery, the store clerk fired a gun striking the suspect. The suspects managed to get away, but a short time later the injured suspect called 9-1-1 from his vehicle to say he had been shot. Paramedics with Austin-Travis County EMS took the man to University Medical Center Breckenridge with non-life threatening injuries.
K-9 units found the second suspect hiding in neighboring property. Authorities say the minivan they were driving in had bullet holes in it.
Police say it appears the store employee was within his rights to use deadly force.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- West Virginia gets better of in-state rival Marshall 94-71
- Asian markets mixed following Wall Street gains
- Fire at Philippine hotel-casino out, death toll raised to 5
- Harden scores 34 as Rockets hold off Timberwolves 129-120