AUSTIN (KXAN) -- A man is dead after being shot in the parking lot of an apartment complex in north Travis County. The suspect in the homicide, Deandre Eric Conner, 20, was arrested in downtown Austin at around 3 p.m. Friday and has been charged with murder.
The investigation, aided by a large number of tips from the community, led to an arrest warrant fairly quickly.
Deputies say the shooting in the Wells Branch neighborhood appeared to be drug-related. Trevon Darnell Fox, 26, of Austin, was identified as the victim by police on March 21.
The shooting happened around 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Churchill Crossing apartments in the 14100 block of Thermal Drive, near the intersection with Wells Branch Parkway. CPR was in progress when deputies arrived, but attempts to resuscitate Fox were unsuccessful.
Authorities said the shooter took off running from the scene. There were other people in the parking lot at the time who saw it happen.
An automated emergency call was sent to neighbors in the area warning them not to open their door to people they don't know.
This is Travis County's fifth homicide this year. On Wednesday night, a couple was shot and killed in the Lake Travis area after a dispute over a business arrangement. Last year, the county had 10 homicides.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Koreas set up hotline between leaders ahead of summit
- Basque militant group ETA: 'We really are sorry'
- Volcano in southern Japan erupts for 1st time in 250 years
- As Prince's health waned, alarm grew in inner circle