AUSTIN (KXAN) - Fire crews responded to heavy fire coming from a garage of a two-story home in Northwest Austin Thursday morning.
The couple and dog who lived at the home at 7207 Nine Oaks Cove managed to make it out safely.
Fire crews said the 911 call came in around 7:20 a.m. when the couple smelled smoke.
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control. Officials said the fire was accidental and started around the gas water heater area after it malfunctioned.
There were no injuries in the fire that caused extensive damage to the home, estimated at $200,000 to the building and $100,000 in personal belongings.
The couple is now without a home and is staying with friends in the meantime.
Winter is invading Texas with a vengeance as snow, sleet and ice are unleashed on much of northern and western sections of the state.
The pastor of the Austin church attended by the teacher who was killed Thursday in Benghazi remembered him as a spiritual friend dedicated to improving the lives of others.
The driver of an 18-wheeler died and crashed into the back side of a building along Interstate 35 on Thursday.
Nelson Mandela, who became one of the world's most beloved statesmen when he emerged from 27 years in prison to negotiate an end to white minority rule in South Africa, has died.
A man convicted 21 years ago for engaging in ritual child abuse was released Thursday after the DA's office agreed the only physical evidence against him was faulty.
A sport-utility vehicle hit a Capitol Metro bus in a parking lot of Anderson Lane on Thursday, sending two people to the hospital.