AUSTIN (KXAN) - A number of flights to the East Coast from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport were canceled Monday because of Hurricane Sandy, officials said.
The cancellations were among some 5,000 that have been shelved because of dangerous conditions all along the Eastern Seaboard.
ABIA spokesman Jason Zielinski said just after noon on Monday that 10 departures and 13 arrivals were canceled between 9 a.m. and noon. The airport's system only provides 12-hour updates, so information about any flights scheduled beyond a 12-hour window is not available. He recommended that passengers check with their airlines to find out if a specific flight they are booked on has been canceled.
ABIA expects more cancellations into Wednesday and possibly beyond, Zielinski said.
Nationwide statistics on flight cancellations as of midday Monday were at 7,447 flights canceled in North America and 1,814 already canceled for Tuesday.
A partial list of the canceled flights out of ABIA:
- US Airways Flight 1778 to Philadelphia at 7:45 a.m.
- Delta Flight 1972 to New York-JFK and Washington-DCA at 8:44 a.m.
- American Flight 1806 to New York-JFK at 9:55 a.m.
- United Flight 1276 to New York-Newark at 10:54 a.m.
- United Flight 1609 to Washington-IAD at 11:48 a.m.
- Southwest Flight 4114 to Washington-DCA at 12:25 p.m.
- Southwest Flight 2857 to Baltimore at 12:50 p.m.
- JetBlue at 1064 to New York-JFK at 1:05 p.m.
- United Flight 329 to New York-Newark at 2:35 p.m.
- Southwest Flight 2792 to Baltimore at 4 p.m.
- United Flight 5591 to Washington-IAD at 4:55 p.m.
- JetBlue Flight 1264 to Boston at 6:35 p.m.
An 8-year-old was killed while standing outside of a vehicle which lost control during the icy conditions, DPS said.
Leander ISD is one of the fastest growing school districts in the state. Their latest demographic report shows a shift in the type of families moving into the district.
University of Texas System regents say they're planning to discuss the employment of Austin campus President Bill Powers, who has sparred with lawmakers and critics over his job in recent years.
Two people were robbed at gunpoint at an East Austin apartment complex Monday evening.
Because of her position as Travis County District Attorney, the deputies who arrested, booked, and restrained Rosemary Lehmberg last April admit they were worried her threats were legitimate.
In a last-minute surprise late Monday, U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman filed paperwork to challenge fellow Texas Republican and powerful incumbent John Cornyn for the U.S. Senate next year.