AUSTIN (KXAN) - Friday's death of Austin Police Officer Jaime Padron brings to 21 the total number of those who died in the line of duty, the names and numbers going back to 1875.
Of the 21, only one was a woman, officer Amy Lynn Donovan, who was killed on Oct. 31, 2004, when she was struck by a vehicle.
Ten of the deaths were from gunfire. Three were caused by a motorcycle crash. Two deaths were from an automobile crash, two from vehicular assault, two were struck by a vehicle. One died of a heart attack, and one died while in a vehicle pursuit.
Those officers names, dates of death and causes are:
- Senior Police Officer Jaime Padron -- died Friday, April 6, 2012 -- Cause: Gunfire
- Police Officer Amy Lynn Donovan -- died Sunday, October 31, 2004 -- Cause: Struck by vehicle
- Sergeant Earl Alison Hall -- died Monday, March 4, 2002 -- Cause: Heart attack
- Police Officer Clinton Hunter --died Thursday, November 29, 2001 -- Cause: Vehicular assault
- Police Officer William DeWayne Jones, Sr. -- died Sunday, May 28, 2000 -- Cause: Gunfire
- Police Officer Drew A. Bolin --died Friday, June 2, 1995 -- Cause: Vehicular assault
- Officer Robert Townes Martinez, Jr. -- died Saturday, February 25, 1989 -- Cause: Automobile accident
- Officer Lee Craig Smith -- died Saturday, December 15, 1979 -- Cause: Motorcycle accident
- Officer Ralph Allen Ablanedo -- died Thursday, May 18, 1978 -- Cause: Gunfire
- Officer Leland Dale Anderson -- died Friday, June 6, 1975 -- Cause: Gunfire
- Officer Thomas Wayne Birtrong -- died Friday, August 23, 1974 -- Cause: Automobile accident
- Officer Billy Paul Speed -- died Monday, August 1, 1966 -- Cause: Gunfire
- Officer Donald Eugene Carpenter --died Thursday, January 30, 1964 -- Cause: Gunfire
- Sergeant Walter Lee Tucker -- died Thursday, October 14, 1948 -- Cause: Motorcycle accident
- Officer Elkins P. Morrison -- died Sunday, February 2, 1936 -- Cause: Struck by vehicle
- Officer James R. Cummings -- died Sunday, December 3, 1933 -- Cause: Motorcycle accident
- Sergeant William Murray Stuart -- died Monday, October 16, 1933 -- Cause: Vehicle pursuit
- Chief of Police James N. Littlepage -- died Tuesday, October 9, 1928 --Cause: Gunfire
- Officer Tom Allen -- died Sunday, October 24, 1915 -- Cause: Gunfire
- Officer John Gaines -- died Wednesday, November 19, 1913 -- Cause: Gunfire
- Officer Cornelius L. Fahey -- died Monday, March 8, 1875 -- Cause: Gunfire
The judge presiding over the trial to oust District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg ruled Wednesday that she'll stay in office.
Mack Brown’s longtime friend and attorney said Wednesday that the veteran coach of the Longhorns has not yet made a decision on his future, but that it will come soon.
The Austin City Council will take up billing errors and problems with the appeals process at Austin Energy during Thursday's meeting.
County commissioners voted Tuesday to approve the buyout of 23 homes in the Timber Creek neighborhood.
Willie Nelson's nine-hole golf course in Briarcliff is up for sale and the asking price is $3 million, according to a local real estate website.
Pope Francis, the first Jesuit pontiff who won hearts and headlines with his humility and common touch, was named Time magazine's Person of the Year for 2013.