FORT HOOD, Texas (KXAN) - The Army major accused in the 2009 massacre on Fort Hood will be allowed to keep his beard for the trial, the new judge in the case ruled Tuesday.
But Army Col. Tara Osborn told Maj. Nidal Hasan that military jurors in the murder trial could have negative reaction toward to his beard because it is outside the service branch's regulations, the new judge told the defendant on Tuesday.
Osborn, who takes over in the cast because a military appeals court questioned the objectivity of the initial judge, did not tell Hasan that he must shave for his trail. But she did ask him several times if he grew the beard under his own free will.
Each time Hasan replied that he did.
Hasan faces the death penalty if convicted in the November shooting 2009 rampage at Fort Hood that killed 13 and wounded more than two dozen. if convicted, Hasan could face the death penalty. No trial date was set.
The Army major's case had been on hold since September over the issue of whether he must shave. The initial judge said that he must be clean-shaven for court, even if had to be forcibly shaved.
Two weeks ago, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces overruled that his order and dismissed the judge.
Osborn said she plans to draw up special instructions for the jury when it goes to trial about his beard.
Cold temperatures forecast for Saturday morning have prompted Georgetown officials to cancel the parade associated with the annual Christmas Stroll. The Stroll, however, will go on.
A Lago Vista couple faces child endangerment charges after authorities found their home covered in feces and garbage.
The Austin Humane Society reopened to the public Friday after closing its doors for six weeks.
The freezing and near-freezing rain that swooped into Central Texas overnight prompted numerous school closings and delays and made for a harrowing morning commute on Friday.
A man is charged with murder in the shooting death Wednesday of a woman at a North Austin auto repair shop, police said Friday.
The man who fell into a flood control channel and drowned last month was identified Friday as 57-year-old Ronald M. Allen.