DALLAS (AP) - Dallas fire officials say an electrical short in Big Tex's wiring caused the fiery demise of the towering cowboy who had been an icon of the State Fair of Texas for 60 years.
Dallas Fire-Rescue released the official cause of the fire on Tuesday, saying it was due to an "unspecified electrical short."
The 52-foot-tall cowboy who greeted fair-goers with a "Howdy, folks!" was destroyed by fire on Friday. After the blaze was extinguished, the tarp-covered remains were hauled from the fairgrounds on a flatbed truck in a procession resembling a funeral.
Fair organizers have vowed to rebuild Big Tex for next year.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Emergency agencies from all over Hays County will be out in full force Friday at Dripping Springs Middle School as they take a new training approach to protect the lives of children.
Ten-year-old Cameron Ferweda is a fan of action-adventure books. Of writing them, that is.
The state's chief financial officer says a booming Texas economy has created an extra $2.5 billion in unspent revenue.
An armed robbery in South Austin set off a search for two men with guns early Friday morning.
Two school buses and a car crashed on eastbound Parmer Lane near Ranch Road 620 on Friday morning but there were no reports of injuries.
Ikea has officially declared a war against loneliness during the holiday season.