AUSTIN (KXAN) - Iliana de la Vega and her husband recently opened their restaurant El Naranjo on Rainey Street in Austin, and they cooked up Camarones Enchipotlados.
This recipe serves two as an appetizer.
- ½ cup crema Mexicana or crème fraiche
- 1-2 chipotles en adobo (canned)
- ½ tbsp canola oil
- ½ white onion thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 8 oz small shrimp, peeled, uncooked
- 2 tsp. chopped cilantro
- ½ lime
- 4 white corn tortillas warmed or tostadas
- salt to taste
- Remove the stems of the chiles and puree with the crema Mexicana. Reserve.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the onion until translucent add the garlic and the shrimp and sauté until the shrimp is cooked, add the chipotle crema and heated through.
- Season with salt to taste, mix in the cilantro and add a splash of lime juice.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with tortillas or tostadas.
Note: To serve as a main course, use larger shrimp and serve with white rice.
The freezing and near-freezing rain that swooped into Central Texas overnight prompted numerous school closings and delays and made for a harrowing morning commute on Friday.
A man is charged with murder in the shooting death Wednesday of a woman at a North Austin auto repair shop, police said Friday.
A man is expected to survive after being stabbed in the head at the Salvation Army shelter in Downtown Austin at about 3:45 a.m. Friday.
It's the first criminal charge following a yearlong criminal investigation into the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas.
With freezing temperatures pushing through the region, heating systems will likely be working overtime, which can bring rising energy bills.
Investigators are looking into an overnight fire that left one woman with third-degree burns.