NBCDFW - ROYSE CITY, Texas (KXAS) -- Police confirm to NBCDFW that the wife of University Park Fire Captain Robert Poynter is in custody in connection with his shooting death.
The Royse City, Texas police department said Chacey Tyler Poynter was arrested for conspiracy to commit murder. She is now in the Rockwall County Jail.
In a statement, Royse City PD reported officers were called to FM 35 near Hunt County Road 2595 around 10:40 p.m. Friday. Officers said Chacey Poynter told officers her husband had been shot. Officers then found Robert Poynter dead of a single gunshot wound in a vehicle.
Royse City PD said information provided by Chacey Poynter was suspicious and conflicting, leading to her arrest.
Police are also seeking a third person of interest in this case. The University Park Fire Department is located about 7 miles outside of Dallas.
On Saturday afternoon, University Park issued this statement about Robert Poynter:
The members of the University Park Fire Department were deeply saddened to hear of the death of Captain Robert Poynter. Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with the family at this difficult time.
A long-tenured firefighter/paramedic, Captain Poynter began his service with the department in 1997. A firefighter/paramedic, he was promoted to Lieutenant in April, 2002 and became a Captain in May, 2012.
Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation, at this time, the department will not comment further.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- French hero officer who swapped himself for hostage dies
- Beard, Texas Tech oust Purdue 78-65 in NCAA East Region
- Joint Chiefs chair sees signs of progress in Afghan war
- Former Schlitterbahn executive charged in Kansas slide death