AUSTIN (KXAN) - Long known for being the producers behind the popular television show, "Austin City Limits" KLRU TV kicked off its 50th Anniversary Year celebration at ACL Live at the Moody Theater Thursday night.
The fundraising gala event started a year-long recognition of the station's contribution to the culture and community of public television in Central Texas. The theme for the year is "KLRU Inspiring Austin Celebration."
"All those 50 years our goal has been to educate kids through shows like Sesame Street, to bring news to the world in a very objective and unbiased way, and to bring the best of arts to the world," said Bill Stotesbery, KLRU general manager.
Other events to come include a week-long public celebration in April, which will culminate with a free KLRU Birthday Party on Second Street, on Sunday, April 29, from noon to 4 p.m.
Thursday's event included performances and was attended by the following honorees:
- Luci Baines Johnson -- business owner, community advocate, philanthropist and daughter of President Lyndon B. Johnson and longtime KLRU advocate
- Paula Kerger -- president and CEO of PBS
- Gwen Ifil -- managing editor and moderator of Washington Week, senior correspondent for PBS Newshour
- Asleep at the Wheel -- Grammy Award-winning country music group
- Craig Hella Johnson -- founder and artistic director of Conspirare
- Kathlene Ritch -- vocalist with Conspirare
- Evan Smith -- host of "Overhead with Evan Smith", CEO and editor-in-chief of the Texas Tribune
- David Rice -- author, filmmaker, former KLRU Community Advisory Board member
- Charles Yang -- violinist, vocalist and guitarist
- Ruby Jane Smith -- fiddle player, singer, songwriter
- The Biscuit Brothers -- Emmy Award-wining children's music performers
Some of the other shows which air on KLRU include Arts in Context, Central Texas Gardener, The Daytripper, Great Performances, the Golden Globe Award winner Downton Abbey, and BBC World News. Children's shows include Biscuit Brothers, Bob the Builder, Curious George, Dinosaur Train, The Electric Company and more.
In 2011, KLRU launched an all-Spanish educational station called V'Me,
More than 100 trees covered in lights now shine bright throughout Zilker Park. The Trail of Lights is open for another season.
A 10-year-old was killed while standing outside of a vehicle which lost control during the icy conditions, DPS said.
Travis County non-profit Center for Child Protection will benefit next March from an all day fundraiser at the Circuit of the Americas that will see plenty of donors racing on the track.
Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg heads to court this week as a defendant in a civil trial that could oust her from office.
Santa visited Austin early on Sunday, joining hundreds of motorcyclists for their annual Toy Run.
Late Saturday night into early Sunday morning, a light band of freezing drizzle traversed the I-35 corridor eastward. With sub-freezing temperatures, even the light precipitation created major problems.