AUSTIN (KXAN) - Santa Rita Tex Mex Cantina brings tasty tamales for the holiday menu.
- 4 lbs. masa blanca (white corn)
- 1 ½ lbs. shorting or lard for more flavor
- 1 ½ lbs. boiled potatoes mashed
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 tsp. of chicken base
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup of salt
- 40 dried corn husks (soak in water and set aside for later)
- Put milk, chicken stock, onions, chicken base, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic and bay leaves in blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes.
- In separate large container, combine the masa, mashed potatoes the pork lard and knead by hand, then add the mixture from the blender slowly, pouring a little in the masa, then mixing by hand, pouring a little more, then mixing by hand. Do this until the masa and the spices are blended very well. Set aside this mixture in the refrigerator.
Ingredients for pork tamale filling
- Cook a 4 lb. pork roast in your favorite way (crock-pot, roasting, stewing)
- Cool the meat, then pull the meat into small pieces. Put aside in the refrigerator.
- Ingredients for Authentic Pork Sauce:
- 4 cups of boiled tomatoes
- 2 cups of canned of mild chiles
- 2 tbsp. of Guajillo pepper paste
- 2 tbsp. of Chipotle pepper paste
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 4 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- Bring water to a rolling boil and add tomatoes for 10 minutes.
- Add all pastes and both kinds of tomatoes to a large stock pot and blend together.
- In separate pan, sauté onion and garlic in oil until onion is translucent.
- Add stock and paste blend to onion and garlic.
- Place over medium flame, add salt, pepper and cumin.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Strain mixture through a china cap.
- Add ¾ of the mixture to pulled pork and blend well. Set aside the other ¼ part of sauce to put on tamales before serving.
To make tamales
- Spread the masa thinly on a corn husk, spreading from the bottom of the husk to one inch from the top. Put 2 ounces of pork in middle of the husk.
- Fold the bottom ½ inch of husk up, then fold each side over.
- Put a dab of masa on the open end of the tamale, and lay in steam pan.
- After you have a full steam pan of tamales, steam in oven or on the stove for 40 minutes.
- Serve the tamales with the sauce on the side, or unwrap tamales and pour sauce on top with cheese and put under the broiler for a few minutes.